Training School - 2013

Beauregard Training School Building


National Register of Historic Places


Y.A. Lenoir was the 1st principal of this school which served students in grades 1-7. Mr. Barrie followed him in 1920-1923; then A.L. Leatherman assumed leadership in 1923 and retired in 1935. At the Training School students were taught to teach, and the last 2 years of their schooling was spent practice teaching under the supervision of the education teacher. To be certified they were required to pass a test administered by the State Department of Education. By the mid 1930's this practice was discontinued. Students graduating from the Training School were required to attend a 1 or 2 year session of Normal Institute to obtain a teaching certificate.
Training School 2013