The following appeared in the DeRidder Enterprise on December 18, 1931.
Work has just been completed on the Bessie Lee Hotel, which has undergone a complete remodeling and refinishing, and is now open to guests. There are thirty rooms, each with outside exposure, and plenty of ventilation. One-half of the rooms have private baths, the remainder have connecting baths. The lobby has been outfitted with a number of desks and comfortable chairs, and the dining hall is inviting and refreshing. The hotel was originally erected in 1907 by the late James S Roberts and took its name after one of his daughters.
It was at the time considered to be the best hotel between Shreveport
and Lake Charles. The Bessie Lee has long been popular for its cuisine
and guests of the hotel often come from a great distance because of the
excellent meals and courteous service.